Last Updated: 2021-02-16
1. Background Information
1.1 The purpose of this policy is to set out the high level principles and procedures relating to the approval of advertisements which appear on services run by SkuSpring.
1.2 The application of the principles will depend on context and will sometimes require subjective judgments.
1.3 There are different regional regulatory bodies and SkuSpring will adhere to these standards in the countries in which we operate:
UK: Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)
US: BBB National Programs' National Advertising Division (NAD)
Europe: European Advertising Standards Alliance (EASA)
1.4 Advertisements carried on services run by must not conflict with the required standards outlined below, which supplement the requirements of the Advertising Codes.
2. Required standards for approval of advertisements
2.1 An advertisement will not be approved for, or permitted to remain on, SkuSpring’s services if, in SkuSpring’s opinion, the advertisement does not comply with the law, does not comply with the relevant regulatory Advertising Body as per 1.3, or is not socially appropriate. More particularly, an advertisement will be unacceptable if:
- it promotes illegal products or services, as ads must not constitute, facilitate, or promote illegal products, services or activities. Ads targeted to minors must not promote products, services, or content that are inappropriate, illegal, or unsafe, or that exploit, mislead, or exert undue pressure on the age groups targeted.
- it includes discriminatory practices as ads must not discriminate or encourage discrimination against people based on personal attributes such as race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, disability, medical or genetic condition.
- it includes tobacco and related products ads must not promote the sale or use of tobacco products and related paraphernalia. Advertisements must not promote electronic cigarettes, vaporizers, or any other products that simulate smoking.
- it includes drugs & drug-related products as ads must not promote the sale or use of illegal, prescription, or recreational drugs, including cannabis.
- it includes unsafe supplements as ads must not promote the sale or use of unsafe supplements, as determined by SkuSpring in its sole discretion.
- it includes weapons, ammunition, or explosives as ads must not promote the sale or use of weapons, ammunition, or explosives.
- it depicts adults or children in a sexual manner or displays nude or semi-nude figures in an overtly sexual context.
- it could reasonably be seen as distasteful, indecent or obscene, in its use of imagery, language or otherwise
- it promotes unproven health and weight loss products
- it depicts direct or immediate violence to anyone shown in the advertisement; or could reasonably be seen as condoning, inciting or provoking crime, illegality, violence, or anti-social behaviour;
- it has content that infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights.
- that may pose a health and safety risk as a result of flickering or other visual imagery
- it is unacceptable for some other substantial reason (which SkuSpring will identify and explain as reasonably required)
- it promotes Prohibited Financial Products and Services as ads must not promote financial products and services that are frequently associated with misleading or deceptive promotional practices.
- it promotes Vaccine Discouragement as ads must not discourage people from vaccination or advocate against vaccines.
- if they promote or reference alcohol must comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses and approvals, and include age and country targeting criteria consistent with applicable local laws. Note that our policies prohibit ads promoting or referencing alcohol in some countries, including but not limited to: Afghanistan, Brunei, Bangladesh, Egypt, Gambia, Kuwait, Libya, Lithuania, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
- it contains Online Gambling as ads that promote online gambling, and gaming where anything of monetary value (including cash or digital/virtual currencies, e.g. bitcoin) is required to play and anything of monetary value forms part of the prize, are only allowed with our prior written permission. This includes games where purchases are required to continue game play and/or provide advantage in winning prizes, in cases where the prize is of monetary value. Authorized advertisers must follow all applicable laws, including targeting their ads in accordance with legal requirements. At a minimum, ads must not be targeted to people under 18 years of age.
- if according to the national regulations as per regulatory bodies of 1.3 the ad contains HFSS (high-fat, high salt, unhealthy foods) or other products that fall in the wider “junk” food category as per regulations.